-- Ada Louise Huxtable
What, mom? We're fine!
6) Watching Mary Kate travel with some kids from her high school to an entire other part of the world and grow and change and open her heart to the transformative power of travel -- meeting new people, learning about new cultures and sharing a bit of yourself along the way.
Mary Kate on the last day saying good-bye to her class.
Mary Kate's travel partners...enjoying time off!
7) The summer of 2012 will forever be remembered as the break out bike riding summer for Caroline and the summer of laughs with Junie B. Jones...Caroline's favorite thing to read and giggle about. Most of our bike rides carried Junie B. Jones in my basket, along with a certain other friend, Teddy.
8) Summer means relaxing and having no where to go. I'm grateful for the days when we didn't do anything we'll remember...a whole lot of nothing often adds up to something when it's summertime.
My personal teddy bear.
9) Moments of silence -- nobody rushing, nobody busy, just slowing down enough to see and hear the glorious life all around us. So grateful for those quiet moments.
10) I don't have a photo of the 10th favorite thing...but I've memorized it in my heart. All six of us got to go to Sunsplash together. Sunsplash is a waterpark with water slides, a "lazy river" that you ride on in innertubes and a wave area that is like a mini-beach. Having Patrick be a strong enough swimmer to enjoy a full day of swimming and water adventures is a dream come true -- thank you Aquamonsters! His cousins, Chloe and Beau, came to show us how it's done. It was a favorite day of Summer 2012 and one I know we will try to find a way to repeat on the hot days of 2013.
Today I am grateful for those beautiful months of long nights where even the sun wants to stay up, for time together and for the grace of unstructured time called summer. So bittersweet to say good-bye.
"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet."
-- Emily Dickinson